Saturday, January 23, 2016

Welcome Home

Last weekend Olivia told us she no longer wanted "toy pets" and that she wanted the real thing..."a real doggy". She's brought it up in the past, but we've always been able to have the "one day we'll have a dog" talk. This time she wasn't having it. Very persistent, almost demanding- she made her case as to why she needed to have a "real doggy".  Don has also been wanting a dog. Not that I don't, but life has been crazy and I swore up and down that we wouldn't get a dog until we got a fence.

I put Olivia to bed that night telling her that we would think about it while hoping she would forget about it. My hope was short lived. The next morning she woke up begging for me to take her to the store for her "white fluffy doggy". Over a bowl of cereal I tried explaining to her how much doggies cost and how much work they are. I told her that maybe she could ask for a doggie for her next birthday (again hoping that would buy me another 6 months). That's when Olivia took her case to a whole new level....

Olivia- "I want a real live doggy. I don't have anything live."

Me- "Do you want a fish?"

Olivia- "No. I want a dog."

Me- "Uncle Pete said you can play with Vincent anytime you want. Maybe we can have a sleepover with Vincent (my brother's dog)"

Olivia- "No. That's Gracie's doggy. You can't take other kids dogs. I want my own. Gracie has a dog and a brother. I don't have anything."

Oooooooooo....deep breath, deep breath, deep breath...

I knew where this conversation was going and it's a conversation I'm not strong enough to have at the moment. She's mentioned in the past that her dolls are her sisters and I've managed to quickly change the subject. Don would be much better at having this conversation with. As soon as she finished her sentence I welled up...and just like that, I was online looking for dogs.

I can't give my kid a sibling- at least not at the moment. I know she's happy and I know we are great parents, but I wonder if she feels she's missing a companion. I wonder if there is a part of her that wishes she had something of her own.

I told my brother and sister about the conversation and they were both insistent that I get this kid a dog. Before I knew it the both of them were searching for "white" dogs.

All week I went back and forth. Do I, don't I, do I, don't I. Don was 100% on board, but I still needed to be convinced. I talked to my Mom who told me she thought I should focus on my health, but she said, "I know you'll get the dog because you're always trying to create this perfect dream world for Olivia. She wants a dog- I know you'll get her one." I hung up the phone and sat there thinking...and thinking...and thinking...




Please meet, Lulu Cummings.





All week I stressed about whether or not to get this dog, but after seeing how happy this little pup has made my Olivia- I know we made the right decision. For the time being this little dog is filling whatever void my child feels she has and for that, it is worth every penny and ounce of hard work.



  



Lulu is an American Eskimo. When I was researching the breed one website said, "Eskimo's just want to be a part of the family." Well Lulu, you're in the right home because we've been looking to add to our family. Welcome home, Lulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment